After giving up meat for Lent, a lot of people have asked us what we ate, or how we managed. The most popular comment from friends and family has been, “There is NO way I could have done that.” Well, yes you could have…and yes you can. 40 days of no meat was not bad at all and has actually passed very quickly. We have learned that meat, while exceptionally delicious, is more of a luxury than a necessity. In a recent brainstorming session, we tried to recall all (or most) of the meals that have allowed us to not only make it through our meatless Lent, but eat well along the way.
The following is a list of the Newly Feds meatless Lenten menu items in no particular order. These meals were all homemade by us, all of the recipes are very doable, and most were made on weekday nights.
If there is a recipe you would like to try or like to see us write about, let us know and we can make that happen.
- Scallion and Edamame Fried Rice
- Garden Vegetable Risotto
- Shrimp Po Boys with Low Fat Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw
- Nicoise Salad with Grilled Tuna
- Scallops with Linguine in a Herb Wine Sauce
- Spinach Macaroni and Cheese
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Minestrone with Pesto Soup
- Vegetable Stir Fry
- Vegetarian Wild Rice Burgers
- Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Salmon with Grilled Vegetable Ratatouille Salad
- Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Caps
- Fish Tacos
- Red Pepper Alfredo
- Shrimp Pad Thai
- Portabella Mushroom Stroganoff
- Boca Burger Tacos
- Coconut Shrimp with a side of Sesame Thai Noodles
- Spiced Lentil Soup
- Spaghetti with Caramelized Mushrooms
- Spring Vegetable Pizza
- Linguine Primavera with Pesto
- Beer Steamed Mussels
- Bocca Veggie Hot Dogs with Homemade French Fries
- Fish and Chips
We also have enjoyed various meals out and with family and friends that aren’t listed. But we promise, NO meat has been eaten during Lent (not even on Sunday).